The following instructions will descirbe how to use the NeuARt II application to import and navigate a published atlas. The published atlas we will be using in the following example is the 'Brain Maps: Structure of the Rat Brain 2nd Edition'. It is authored by L.W. Swanson and published by Elsevier. For more information about this atlas, please refer to the publisher's website.
1. Please make sure the NeuARt II application has been installed in your system and then start the executable. You should be able to see NeuARt II shown as screenshot 1.
2. Set up your system configuration for the Adobe Illustrator application.
Click on the NeuARt II's system menu in the following order 'Settings -> System Property' and you will see a popup dialog shown as screenshot 2. Please Indicate the installation directory of your Adobe Illustrator application in the dialog.
3. Set up your system configuration for the current working directory of NeuARt II.
The default working directory is set to the path of your NeuARt II installation. You can change your working directory to another location by clicking on the NeuARt II's system menu in the following order 'Settings -> System Property' and specifying the working directory in the popup dialog shown as screenshot 3.
This step can be ignored unless you need to change your working directory.
4. Import the published atlas 'Brain Maps: Structure of the Rat Brain 2nd Edition' into NeuARt II. You need to have a legal CD in order to import the atlas.
- Press the 'Import Brain Map' button in the NeuARt II's system toolbar and a wizard dialog will be displayed (shown as screenshot 4).
- Indicate the location of your atlas CD and the type of the brain map you are going to import (in this example, we want to import the L.W. Swanson's Brain Maps 2nd Edition) in the wizard dialog. This step is shown in screenshot 5.
- Press the 'Next' button in the wizard dialog and you will enter the second step of the import process (shown as screenshot 6). Press the 'Start' button to start the Adobe Illustrator in your system.
- By following the instructions in the wizard dialog, you need to click on the system menu of your Adobe Illustrator applicaiton in the following order 'File -> Scripts -> ImportToNeuArt' and wait for the completion of the script. This is shown in screenshot 7.
- When the Adobe Illustrator is terminated, please press the 'Finish' button in the wizard dialog. You will see a dialog displaying the import status shown as screenshot 8.
- When the import process is finished, the imported atlas should be displayed in the NeuARt II's system drop-down list shown as screenshot 9. You should be able to see the item 'file: L.W. Swanson' in your 'Atlas Source' list and the item '(1998) BRAIN MAPS: Structure of the Rat Brain, 2nd Edition-73 images' in your 'Atlas Collection' list.
5. Navigate the contents of the imported atlas.
- Select the target altas in your system drop-down list and then press the 'Load' button in the NeuARt II's system toolbar.
- A popup dialog will prompt you to specify the location of your legal atlas CD shown as screenshot 10. Please insert the atlas CD into your CD drive, indicate its path in the dialog and press the 'OK' button. You cannot use the atlas in NeuARt II unless a licensed CD is presented in your CD drive.
- Once the verification of the atlas CD is completed, the sagittal, coronal, and thumbnial view of the atlas will be displayed. Now, you are ready to navigate the contents of the atlas. This step is shown in screenshot 11.
If you encounter problems, please use the Sourceforge discussion groups or submit a bug report. If you like to receive future announcements regarding to the software release, please subscribe the mailing list.